Sunday, February 7, 2010

Revised forecast for Snow (Patrol)

A few nights ago, I was channel-surfing when I came across a show on Irish TV called 'Other voices', in which musical acts, national and international, play in a church in a (lovely) small town in the south west of Ireland called Dingle. On this occasion, I tuned in midway through an incredible souding song where several guys were making a very unusual choral wordless melody surrounded by strings, and my jaw dropped. The overall melody was only vaguely familiar, and then got more familiar, and then the main singer started back into a verse and I realised with quite a start that it was Snow Patrol playing 'Chasing cars'.

The performance can be seen below; 'Chasing cars' actually starts around the 5 minute mark (after another song and an interview clip) and I estimate I tuned in around the 7 min 52 seconds mark.



That is just simply incredible. I have always had a moderately favourable disposition towards Snow Patrol, and feel they are talented lads who know how to write a good song (much of 'Eyes open' is actually very good) and are almost relutant pop stars despite themselves. However, on the basis of the above, my estimation of them has increased hugely.

The other version of 'Chasing cars' I always liked was the mash-up by 'Partyben' where it was crossed intimately with the Police's 'Every breath you take' to quite interesting effect.



I also loved 'Set the fire to the third bar' with Martha Wainright, as seen on some European TV show below:



The final track I will leave this post with is what I think was the first song of theirs I heard, off an Uncut CD (of course), called 'On/off', a live version of which (unfoartnately not brilliant quality) I found below:



The original of that, without visuals, but worth including for the immaculate sound quality and lovely delicate acoustic sound, is below:



All in all, having listened to these songs as I constructed this post, I think it is time I gave Snow Patrol a lot more attention and credit in future. This last month in Ireland has seen levels of snow and ice almost unprecedented in the country, so maybe it is just appropriate, or nature was giving me a big hint.....

1 comment:

Convenor said...

We'd be very glad if you would feature/link to/follow/blogroll our blog:

www.catholicheritage.blogspot.com

Especially in honour of our ongoing Cork feature:

http://catholicheritage.blogspot.com/search/label/Cork

Up Cork!

 
Site Meter