Thursday, February 4, 2010

Finding Greg Laswell via Grey's Anatomy

Just a quick post to show what I love about the internet and how it has really revolutionised the way we can access music. I was watching Grey's Anatomy (or at least it was on while I was reading) when my ears tweaked up at the sound of a cover version of 'your ghost' by Kirsten Hersh (with Michael Stipe), a beautiful duet. Two minutes on later my iPod touch I typed 'your ghost cover version grey's anatomy' into Google and found Greg Laswell's name, which I then went to my PC and typed into eMusic, for which I have a subscription. I had 7 downloads left in this month's allowance, and lo and behold there was his 5-track 'Covers' EP featuring 'Your ghost', along with a nice version of the Bunnymen masterpiece 'The killing moon', and what follows below:



This, 'A woman's work' is apparently a Kate Bush song but his version is just incredible. That is the power of the worldwide interweb, from never hearing of someone to loving their songs in less than an hour. How did we ever do without it? Almost justifies the existence and budget of 'Grey's anatomy' by itself. Greg's homepage is at http://greglaswell.com/.

I will finish with 'Your ghost', but the original Hersh/Stipe version; I found ones with her singing live but this one, although not an actual video, does give the full effect of the duet:



Magic! Now I have just downloaded Florence and the Machine (finally) so need to work on that for a few days and get back with comments.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i stumbled across your blog post while searching greg laswell on twitter. i found him by watching tv also, and he is now one of my favorite artists. i saw him last night in boston and he was incredible.. an extremely nice, down-to-earth guy also. i would highly recommend seeing him live.

 
Site Meter