Friday, October 23, 2009

Enabeling the Editors

My last post below was about Editors and the way in which thay have gradually won me over from initial enthusiasm to slight suspicion to general adminration over the course of three albums.

I ended the post with reference to some interesting and telling cover versions, of great songs by REM and Prefab Sprout. Since then I somehow came across another cover version, which I would not find a video clip of, but which is of The National's 'Abel', which can be downloaded below.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2d3wwmzcdzm

'Abel' comes from 'Alligator' and is probably one of The National's angriest hours, a loud and pounding growling headache of a song in the chorus of which Matt Berninger does some seldom-heard shouting. I find the song very powerful and have spent quite a few busy days at work with the words 'my mind's come loose inside its shell' echoing round and round my head (yes, I do know how wierd that seems!). Two versions of it can be seen below:

In many ways, I feel it a somewhat inevitable squaring of the circle to find Editors covering the National, different ends of my musical taste turning out to the closely connected other than in my headshell. And how do they do? Of course no-one mortal could get the sound of Bryan Davendorf's drums exactly right, and Tom Smith is perhaps too cool to let rip the way Matt does, but it is certainly a very good version, and well worth a listen.

No comments:

 
Site Meter