Sunday, May 23, 2010

Phsophorescent, Drive-by truckers and pirates

Quiet week this week, so just a few updates:


Music

Listened to a mix of Phosphorescent's album of Willie Nelson covers and their new one ('Heres to taking it easy) and actually finding it really nice, if a bit on the country side of alt. I particularly love their cover of 'Can I sleep in your arms', which can be seen here, and this 'Last thing I needed (first thing in the morning), which can be seen here:



I also went back and listened to 'The big to-do' by Drive-by truckers a bit, of which my favourite is the admirably brief 'It's gonna be (I told you so)', below:


The National's gig from Brooklyn is still not being shown to irish viewers on Vevo, dammit. Am, however, starting to think about going to Electric Picnic to see them (and lots more besides).....

Otherwise, listening to some more Ryan Adams in the sunshine for some reason, and a Tindersticks playlist helped while away a train trip today, along with a playlist I made of the best of 2008, which really was a great year for music (Vampire Weekend, Glasvegas, TV on the Radio, Tindersticks, American Music Club and much more besides).

TV

Switching around the other night I found a great routine by Chris Addison from 'The thick of it' on pirates, which I found on youtube as below:


I also welcomed Michael Madsen to 24, as we just don't get to see enough of him these days. Looking even more like Elvis after many years in biker prison, and just as cool as in Reservoir Dogs. Poor old Jack has gone completely apeshit by now, though, and the fact that this is apparently the last season to be made leads to interesting speculations as to just how phycho he might get before this day is out. I wonder would the 25th and 26th episode of each season show him doing nothing but peeing, eating, sitting down and perhaps even snoozing? What exactly is he on and how does everyone else manage to work 24 hours without a yawn? Finally, does he or anyone else get paid over-time in CTU?

So, that's nearly enough for today and this week. Suffered through 'The proposal' which I don't think I will even comment on except to say that Ryan Reynolds must be the most expressionless actor I know. I am also struggling in denial about the fact that I may be getting hooked on Britain's got Talent for some inexplicable reason.

To end on a more positive note, I bought the DVD of 'The road' (which I reviewed on release here) and interested in the commentary and making of to see how relates to the book. Just joins the pile to catch up on though!

No comments:

 
Site Meter