Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Two more new National songs

Since my long post a few weeks ago with most of the tracks off 'High violet' by The National (still over 6 damn weeks from release), I have found two more tracks live on Youtube.

The first is 'Conversation 16', which I really like, and somehow reminds me of the sound (pastoral rock is the phrase that keeps springing oddly to mind) they introduced last year on the wonderful 'So far around the bend'; the horns and melody, vocals and flow are just lovely, and the drums are there as always to keep it different and stop it retreating into excessive prettiness. I also love the way, in this live version, the crowd gets fooled into thinking it has stopped, when it has yet some more to run, the kind of moment you will only get on a pre-release live version from a much loved band.

The second is 'Afraid of everyone' and this one also has me really excited, with the two featured here being among my favourites off the album so far. I love the slow but dramatic start, the way he keeps repeating the title line, such a vulnerable line, and the way the song gradually builds up and up, forcing the use of the word 'epic'. I also welcome joyously the return of the chanty end of a National song, so much missed since its peak in 'Secret meeting' from 'Alligator':

So, excitement still building in a manner no medical professional would recommend as safe. The released MP3 version of 'Bloodbuzz Ohio' must be in the top 10 all-time played on my iPod already, and I love it, having eventually come to regard it as 'Guest room's epic big brother, having that same majestic (slightly New Order/Cure) propulsion and restrained fury. In the past many National songs have sounded (in a good way) intense, closed-off and claustrophobic ('my mind's come loose inside it's shell') but this time I believe the album will feel widescreen and epic to a degree not previously associated with them.

31 days left, and counting.

No comments:

 
Site Meter